[ | | | 4 interested person(s) ]

Well I wish I could say it was a good run for the US, but it wasn't. Scoring one goal in 3 matches is unacceptable. I was lucky enough to take the 2 hours off of work to watch the match with my pal False 45th at the local pub.

The first part of the match was promising with a Dempsey goal off a magnificent pass by Beasley which tied Ghana in the 43rd minute. The penalty kick was definitely a buzzkill in the 47th minute. Knowing that the US had to score two goals in the 2nd half was depressing given the anemic US offense almost certain defeat. The attacking by the US presented some promising chances in the 2nd half. The best being McBride's header off the sidebar post.

I think I would be more upset about the US not advancing had I thought that the US had been cheated in some form, but they simply didn't look like a World Cup quality team over these three matches. Anyone have an idea why Donovan played like absolute crap? and while you're at it tell me how you think you can score in the 5-4-1 formation?

Had these matches been replayed I think the results would have been different but like I said at the onset you simply don't advance at this level with scoring one goal in three matches. I look forward to the matches ahead and this new found love for football. The NBA has official been replaced in my pecking order of sports. Hopefully the US brings it strong in South Africa in 2010. We are only getting better.

Listen: To All the World Cup matches at the Sun Online.

4 interested person(s)

The Dude said... @ 6/22/2006 11:48:00 PM

I got a semi-soccer related post over at my blog, it's got some music by a dude named Curumin, I think you might like it.

Anonymous said... @ 6/23/2006 03:01:00 AM

Don't worry K, USA are only beginners at this football lark. Is the post really called a sidebar over there?

K said... @ 6/23/2006 06:06:00 AM

no jack its probably not. mostl likely just my beginner football vocabulary.

Flatlander said... @ 6/27/2006 11:27:00 PM

I agree. It was a crappy ending for the US. However, don't forget that if you look at the full World Cup cycle for the US, it wasn't so bad. For the first time ever, the US finished in first place in qualifying for its region. If we had been placed in a few of the other groups, I think we would have advanced.

Qualifying for SA 2010 starts in early 2008. That gives us just a few months to find a new coach and 2007 to blood some new young players to replace Reyna, McBride, Pope, etc.

Post a Comment