[ | | | 2 interested person(s) ]

So I have read No Frontin' hyping up this movie called Scanner Darkly and I have to admit I was giving him the yah yah yah I'll get to it treatment. Well I apologize for that. I got the chance to check out the trailers for this movie and it looks dope.

1. Dystopia set in the future, check.
2. Critic of the war on drugs, check.
3. Deals with the realm between dream-like states and reality, check.

The film is based off of the novel by Philip K. Dick or PKD. Perhaps you have heard of a little film called Blade Runner well it was based on Dick's 1968 novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? So you know PKD knows Sci-Fi. Scanner Darkly is a bleak mixture of science fiction and police procedural, in which an undercover narcotics detective ingests massive amounts of a dangerous drugs in order to maintain his cover. The book (and movie I assume) is a semi-autobiographical story set in a dystopian Orange County, California in the future of 1994 (surely later for the movie).

The movie also uses rotoscoping a technique where animators trace live action movement, frame by frame, for use in animated cartoons. I am sure you all recall the 2001 film Waking Life. Anyways sorry to NF this movie looks very cool. Have to say I am not a Keanu Reeves fan, but he made it work in the Matrix films so I am optomistic. I am however a Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrelson fan.

Be sure to check out the trailers from Apple:

Video: Trailer 1
Video: Trailer 2

2 interested person(s)

Anonymous said... @ 3/11/2006 04:32:00 AM

Ooh, now this i want to see

Silent K said... @ 3/14/2006 11:58:00 PM

I hope it has a good Soundtrack to match. Vangelis' stuff for BladeRunner was GREAT when coupled with the film, but it was hard to enjoy outside of it.

Post a Comment