[ | | | 5 interested person(s) ]

This has been a question that I have been mulling over since seeing them win the Oscar two nights ago. Please weigh in on the subject in the comments. Very interested in what your take is. Read Palms Out assessment of the win. Very good commentary to get the ball rolling. By Scheme of Palms Out:

"Probably my biggest problem with the black bourgeoisie is their constant concern of what Uncle Charlie (read: white people) think. But truth be told, while they were grasping their cashmere sweater vests in collective horror, I was equally mortified to find out that the three six mafia would be, and by this time, have been, the first rappers ever to perform on the Academy Awards---With all of the ingenious hip-hop creations made over the course of the genre's 30 year history, you mean to tell me that this was the song deemed performance (and Oscar!) worthy? Really? And to the 3-6 Mafia, ya'll are proud of this? "

If you missed the performance see it here:
Three 6 Mafia at the Academy Awards

5 interested person(s)

The Dog of Freetown said... @ 3/07/2006 09:38:00 AM

I thought I should weigh in and give you my take. I think Three 6 Mafia is okay for hip hop, but generally I think the numerical confusion they instill can detract from their musical narrative. My friend also tells that Three 6 Mafia can't really play their instruments.

K said... @ 3/07/2006 10:39:00 AM

Let me start by saying that the other two songs nominated I was not equally high on. The Crash song was crap and I have never understood the attraction of Dolly Parton's music. Never.

That said. The 3-6 Mafia song I found to be pretty marginal. Note that this is coming from a middle class white kid so maybe I do not understand the "pimp'in" life.

Race is definitely at play here in the winning of this Oscar. Sure some find the Oscars to be crap I acknowledge that and even agree with it. But what has happened here is that in essence with 3-6's performance they have pushed this type of hip hop out to the masses...sorry I don't think middle white america is watching BET, MTV Jams etc. etc.

This is the type of Hip Hop that they see. They don't see The Roots, Blackalicious, Lauryn Hill, J Dilla, Mos Def, Dead Prez, De La Soul etc.

Perhaps I am out of touch with what hip hop is and only focus on what appeals to me? Maybe I just don't understand. If that is the case I can acknowledge that.

I just continually think that hip hop has more to offer in its amazing 30 year history than a group that puts out songs like 'Where da Killaz Hang', 'Half on a Sack', 'South Memphis B*tch', and 'Slob on my knob.' We won't even get into the lyrics. How is that good music? How is that constructive?

I hope Outkast puts up a better song for next Oscars with their musical Idlewild. Now that is some music I can say I enjoy.

Certainly glad to see hip hop and African Americans acknowledged for their achievements (its long over due) just wish there was a better represenative thats all.

Maybe blame the Academy for putting up such shit songs, I don't know. I just watched the performance and was left thinking...That is from a genre that I love so much? I just think Hip Hop music history deserves better.

Anonymous said... @ 3/07/2006 01:39:00 PM

To me, hip hop was a medium that people used to convey a message - a conscious message. In the early 90's, we were blessed by such artists as Rakim, Public Enemy, even NWA. Hip hop was also used to just have fun, ATCQ comes to mind. With that said, Three 6 Mafia winning is sort of bittersweet. On one hand, the academy now acknowledges to influence of hip hop on our culture. However, "It's hard out here for a pimp" isn't exactly the message I think the art's pioneers have in mind.

I feel that the pioneers used hip hop to be taken seriously. The majority of today's hip hop is a joke in my eyes, and that sucks.

K said... @ 3/07/2006 01:45:00 PM

Couldn't agree with you more Nate.

Anonymous said... @ 4/07/2006 11:54:00 PM

Three six is da shit

Post a Comment