[ | | | 16 interested person(s) ]

Just noticed that my dudes, Passion of the Weiss, Straight Bangin' and Gorilla vs. Bear are picking the 25 best hip hop albums of all time. I figured I'd join the party.

So their lists are extensive with some serious breakdowns. Be sure to check them out. With moving to Chicago and looking for a new job just 15 days away I'll have to keep mine short. But hell I love lists so let me take a crack at this one. First, let me state this is not really based on artistic excellence or genre changing/ground breaking music. Its more about the hip hop albums I LOVE and could listen to for months/years/decades. Sure I'll take my lumps for being a backpacker...

25. Talib Kweli - Quality
24. M.I.A. - Arular
23. N*E*R*D* - In Search Of
22. Aesop Rock - Labor Days Blackalicious - Nia
21. The Coup - Steal This Album
20. Aesop Rock - Labor Days
19. J-Dilla - Donuts
18. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
17. Common Sense - Resurrection
16. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde
15. Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs
14. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
13. Gangstarr - Daily Operation
12. Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion
11. Kanye West - The College Dropout
10. Blackstar - Blackstar
9. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
8. DJ Shadow - Entroducing
7. Erik B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
6. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
5. The Fugees - The Score
4. Nas - Illmatic
3. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
2. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
1. Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

I gravitate mostly to socially driven, positive hip-hop as my list shows. Of course I'd love to hear criticism and see other's favorite hip hop albums. And yes I know I left off Biggie Smalls, Dr. Dre, the Beastie Boys, 2Pac, N.W.A. but like I said these are my favorites not necessarily the most crucial hip hop albums.

16 interested person(s)

Anonymous said... @ 4/24/2007 08:00:00 AM

Im sorry dude, but kanye west can suck my balls, his flow is weak, his best beats are ALL THE SAME... plus that whole faux academic thing he tries is hella weak..

k. said... @ 4/24/2007 08:07:00 AM

hey i welcome that. but when you get the chance post your favorites. i know kanye is a bit of a polarizing figure in hip hop but i stand by my picks.

mx4500 said... @ 4/24/2007 08:18:00 AM

whoa this list is reaaaal weak. here is how it would look if i was picking. just my top 10:

1. Nas' Illmatic
2. Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
3. Notorious BIG's Ready to Die
4. Dr. Dre's The Chronic
5. Eminem's The Eminem Show
6. Boogie Down Productions' By Any Means Necessary
7. A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory
8. Big Daddy Kane's Long Live the Kane
9. Dr. Dre's 2001
10. N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton

k. said... @ 4/24/2007 08:30:00 AM

only regrets i have when looking over this list is not including Digable Planets, Arrested Development, Erykah Badu, Brand Nubian, Hieroglyphics, Run DMC or Kurtis Blow.

The only criticism that I am feeling about my list right now is that it might be a bit too contemporary but I can deal with that. ALSO I could have put Public Enemy No. 1 that album is full of such power and raw emotion its a tough one to top.

Anonymous said... @ 4/24/2007 10:00:00 AM

MIA are you serious?!?!

Joey said... @ 4/24/2007 10:09:00 AM

Nice list. What about Quality do you love so much, though? Some of the joints on there are ridiculous, but half of the album kind of drags, no?

k. said... @ 4/24/2007 10:25:00 AM

you know joey you could probably swap reflection eternal out for quality and i would be cool with it. i just put alot of stock in "get by" being on that album. i just really really LOVE that track. but you have a point not EVERY track on that thing is great.

in hindsight i might have swapped it out with "3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of..." or "Reachin'"

Anonymous said... @ 4/24/2007 10:29:00 AM

Only list with females-thanks. Think Mos Def and Lauren Hill should be higher but overall super cool.

In light of the current controversy this list highlights fantastic hip hop that is not offensive or derogatory. CHEERS to that

Aidan said... @ 4/24/2007 12:18:00 PM

Yo, I'm not gonna try to list things in order ever because I just don't have the patience. I'm also not gonna say your list is weak as it is obvious its your choice! I couldn't even name a top five but I'm loving your list there and there a few on there I need to get and listen to at some point!
I've been checking your blog and you'll probs find I've nicked a few tracks for my own at some point!

Anonymous said... @ 4/24/2007 01:12:00 PM

note: Backpacker = REAL HIP HOP Listener! No lumps for wanting more from your music!

andrew m said... @ 4/24/2007 03:06:00 PM

Neither you nor Chris showed any love to Blackalicious...which is amazing to me.

Chris said... @ 4/24/2007 03:27:00 PM

nice list man, this was fun. good to see M.I.A. and j dilla on there, i thought about putting those on my list.

and andrew, i swear Nia would be top 30. love that album.

k. said... @ 4/24/2007 03:28:00 PM

drew but i did! sorry i had aesop rock twice. i just fixed it.

Lynton said... @ 4/24/2007 05:20:00 PM

Nice list K. In all this listmania I haven't seen much Organised Konfusion which deserves to be waaay up the list. The first album is the best - but to follow it with "Stress" - damn!
I woulda kicked NERD to fit Main Source - "Breakin Atoms" and tried to squeeze Black Sheep "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" somewhere, but nice job anyway.

Lynton said... @ 4/24/2007 05:24:00 PM

oh ps - a top 25 hip hop singles would get the female MCs back in the higher rankings and some of the "almost" crew up there like Hiero, but then you open the "remix" can of worms. And after that I think the bar brawl starts.
Bloody lists!!!

Keith said... @ 4/30/2007 11:44:00 PM

Man, nobody ever mentions Aceyalone's A Book of Human Language! That album is by far one of the most underrated hip-hop albums ever. It's fantastic stuff.

Post a Comment